A little while ago I made some hats for my friend's grandchildren and then promised to make another one for her remaining grandchild.
I had to adapt the sizing of an adult hat as I did not have a pattern for this design in a child's size. I managed to come up with a solution by altering the number of rows and changing the brim. With the remaining little girl a bright pink hat, which was the colour she wanted, would not have been suitable because her colouring is all wrong. Luckily I found a yellow yarn, with a pink and blue splash in it which was just the right shade. To allow for the pink I matched a plain pink to the pink colour in the hat - a sort of raspberry crush shade - and used that in the rows of the rosette.
For my pains I received a delightful hand-drawn picture from the little girl which is now proudly displayed on my notice board. :)
Technical note: Creative Yarns - Rainbow